A Half Moon and Z-Arts co-production for ages 4-9
Available for booking for performances in Black History Month, 2-30 October 2022 only.
Note this project is awaiting some additional funding, so bookings are heavy pencils.
Abi and her Grandad tell each other Anansi folktales. They play games as they work together in the garden among the beautiful flowers and tasty vegetables. As they plant memories, they share secrets and develop a bond that nothing can break. Grandad is as smart and mischievous as the wily Anansi legend. Can he find a way to tell his granddaughter about his plans to return to Jamaica, his beloved homeland?
Join our intrepid characters in this humorous and heartfelt inter-generational adventure, as they step into the unexpected. With evocative live music, Grandad Anansi is an uplifting tale of love, courage and letting go.
Written by award-winning children’s author Elayne Ogbeta, Grandad Anansi is a Half Moon and Z-arts co-production: an exciting collaboration by the UK’s leading small-scale young people’s venue and touring company and Manchester’s award-winning venue for children and familiesDownload images and PR assets
R&D preview trailer
Performances last 40 mins (no interval). 1 or 2 shows a day. If a 2-show day a minimum of 2 hours between the start of shows (e.g. 11am & 1pm) is required.
- Get-in: 2 hours before half with pre-rig completed prior to get in.
- Get-out: 1 hour
- Venue Configuration: End on. Performing area minimum 6.5m meters (wide) by 5.5m (depth) with 3.5m (height)
- Lighting: A full lighting plan will be supplied. We will require the use of the venues lighting desk.
- Sound: We tour a Mac with QLAB but will need to plug this into the venues P.A. system. As there is also a live musician on stage we require 2 x lr line ins.
- Staffing: There are 2 performers, and a live musician plus a company stage manager who will operate lighting and sound, but we do require 1 in-house technician to assist with get-in, focus, plot and the get-out.
- Parking: For a sprinter size van.
- Facilities: Dressing rooms for 3 performers (a male and female combination).
Technical Requirements (non-traditional spaces inc rural touring spaces):
- Note that the piece can perform self-sufficiently without blackout as we can tour our own sound (live and recorded). All we need is 1 contact to help with get-ins. Set-up times are 90 mins, exit within 45 mins.
- Dedicated support from the marketing/PR and technical team at Half Moon.
- Up to 500 A5 colour flyers and 15 A3 colour posters. (NB: overprinting will be at an additional cost, please enquire).
- Images/production photos plus digital assets for use within venue brochures or broader usage.
For 1 or 2 shows per day.
£950 + VAT
Venue that are part of the Big Imaginations Consortium, please reference this when making enquiries.
Please enquire for prices when booking multiple consecutive days.
Note for venues at very long distances from the NW, an additional supplement of £100 per day may apply. Note venues that require a get-in the day before may be subject to a fee supplement.
Please note that these fees are subject to a small additional supplement if your venue makes a compulsory contra to us for your costs at the contracting stage (e.g. credit card/box office; get-in/out; marketing/brochure contributions).
We are able to offer a range of bespoke creative learning activities for schools and family groups on request to complement the performance at additional costs. Please enquire for prices.
Reviews from previous Z-Arts/Half Moon collaborations
⭐⭐⭐⭐ “An utterly enjoyable production… Dust deals with a number of difficult emotions, but with such a light touch it’s suitable for children of any age, including the adult kind… A captivating, imaginative production that uses tiny particles to make big things possible”
“Half Moon are creating important, beautiful and powerful work for young people.”
“Our children absolutely loved the show (as did we) and they haven’t stopped talking about it since. Most of the children had never seen any type of show before, let alone such an immersive and exciting one. We would rate it 5 out of 5 stars.”