A Half Moon production
Available 5 May – 9 June 2024 (possible extension to 23 June 2024). Please enquire.
Join the boat-bed’s disparate crew as they dream up playful tales of pirates, misunderstood sharks and fishing trips that hook some unexpected catches. But what happens if the bed is not big enough to fit everyone in? How do they decide who gets to stay and who has to go?
This humorous and inventive new show celebrates the power of imaginary play and proves there’s always enough room to have fun, even when the world is at its most daunting.
Written by award-winning teenage fiction writer Steve Tasane (Child I, Blood Donors), Ten in the Bed sensitively explores the child refugee experience, where the power of invention offers an escape from reality. Framed by an evocative soundscape, it is the latest exhilarating production for 3-8s from Half Moon, the UK’s leading small-scale young people’s venue and touring company.
Images and assets
Promotional images are available to advertise the show, which can be downloaded at the link below. Production photos will be released in February 2024.
A full play script is available to read on request.Download images and PR assets
R&D taster assets
Ten in the Bed was developed as part of Half Moon’s Narratives of Empathy and Resilience artform development programme in 2021, a continuing programme that creates stories that reflect diverse communities and contemporary society, as well as support underrepresented artists in developing their practice.. You can watch the filmed R&D extract, plus a Q&A by the creative team, below.Background to the Ten in the Bed R&D process
- Performances last 50 mins (no interval)
- If a 2-show day is booked, a minimum of 2 hours between the start of shows is required (e.g. 11am and 1pm).
Technical Requirements (venues):
- Get-in: 2.5 hours before half with pre-rig completed prior to get-in.
- Get-out: 1 hour.
- Venue Configuration: End on. Performing area minimum 5m (wide) by 5m (depth) with 3.5m (height).
- Lighting: A full lighting plan will be supplied. We will require the use of the venues lighting desk.
- Sound: We tour a Mac with QLAB but will need to plug this into the venues P.A. system.
- Staffing: On tour, there are 2 performers plus a company technical stage manager who will operate lighting and sound, but we do require 1 in-house technician to assist with get-in, focus, plot and the get-out.
- Parking: For a sprinter size van.
- Facilities: Dressing room/s for 2 performers.
Technical Requirements (non-traditional spaces inc rural touring spaces/libraries/schools):
- Note that the piece can perform self-sufficiently without blackout as we can tour our own sound.
- 1 contact to help with get-ins.
- Set-up times are 90 mins, exit within 45 mins.
- This flexibility allows families/children to access the work where they live, go to school or spend their free time.
- Dedicated support from the marketing/PR and technical team at Half Moon including accessible formats and touring riders
- Up to 500 A5 colour flyers and 20 A3 colour posters. (Please note: overprinting will be at an additional cost, please enquire.)
- Images, production photos and other digital assets for venue or broader publicity usage.
- We can provide assets for venues/partners to make their own print etc. if that is preferred.
- 1 or 2 shows per day
- London: £850 + VAT
- All other locations: £950 + VAT
- Please enquire for prices for multiple days.
- Please Note: for venues that are a very long distance from London, an additional supplement of £100 per day may apply. Venues that require a get-in the day before may be subject to a fee supplement. Please enquire.
- Please note that these fees are subject to a small additional supplement if your venue makes a compulsory contra to us for your costs at the contracting stage (e.g. credit card/box office; get-in/out; marketing/brochure contributions).
- Half Moon can offer bespoke workshops for groups on the themes of the performance or on the creation of original theatre.
- CPD workshops for teachers is also available on request.
- Please enquire for prices.
Reviews of previous Half Moon productions for this age:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “A funny, anarchic play that will capture the interest and imagination of children…. [Party] wowed the kids and kept them all gripped…the magical grand finale had every child in the room screaming with joy.”
⭐⭐⭐⭐ “An utterly enjoyable production… Dust deals with a number of difficult emotions, but with such a light touch it’s suitable for children of any age, including the adult kind… A captivating, imaginative production that uses tiny particles to make big things possible.”
“A colourful, amazing production.”