Need a Little Help
A Tangled Feet and Half Moon co-production for 2-7s.
A moving and uplifting show inspired by the experience of young carers for ages 2 – 7
Joe and Ella are a great team – they make each other laugh, help each other out and tackle all the chores their busy lives throw at them. But one morning things begin to change when Joe gets all tangled up and Ella has to do things alone. What will Ella do now? Will she be able to continue as before, or will it all get too much? If only she had a little help…
Based on the experiences of young carers, the piece explores what it means to look after someone else when you are young. In a uniquely designed immersive space, the young audience will help the performers look after each other, stepping into the shoes of young carers.
Need a Little Help is a deeply moving and joyfully uplifting piece of interactive and physical theatre from award winning ensemble Tangled Feet, working in partnership with children’s theatre specialists, Half Moon.
This is a reworked version of the production that toured nationally in 2015, reconfigured to be performed in non-traditional venues including community, libraries and school settings. Need a Little Help has been adapted for early years settings through Hopper with the support of Take Art, Surrey Arts, China Plate, Arts Partnership Surrey, ACE and Paul Hamlyn Foundation.
There are a range of photos and trailers for Need a Little Help is available to view at the following:
(Please credit Kamal Prashar for the relevant photographs.)
Show trailer: https://vimeo.com/246141160
Video interview with Nathan Curry: https://vimeo.com/157324255
Performance lasts for 40 minutes followed by an informal play session.
Reviews / Feedback
“A cohesive, innovative, involving piece of storytelling.”
Children’s Theatre Review: www.childrenstheatrereviews.com/2015/01/20/need-a-little-help/
“Rarely is children’s theatre as profound whilst joyously riveting as Need a Little Help.”
“A wonderful production full of heart and carrying a really important message! Beautifully put together!”
“Still thinking about Need a Little Help. Such clever and moving treatment of the subject matter.”
“Amazing, really touched my soul and presented in such a lovely way. Thank you.”
“A really extraordinary performance -an important show. Very emotional and perfectly pitched to the audience. Fantastic, faultless.”
“Fantastic show! I want to see it again”
Now available for a very limited period from 1st until 14th October 2018. Note that this show is ONLY for non-traditional spaces (libraries, community centres, schools, pop-up and rural spaces). It is not available for venues.
Technical Requirements (festivals, non-traditional spaces):
- Get-In: 1 hour before the first performance from when entering the empty space. Note that the van takes 45 minutes to unpack in addition.
- Get-Out: 1 hour once audience has left
- Minimum of 2 hours between the start of shows (e.g. 11am & 1pm) if taking two shows on the same day
- Space Configuration: The performance takes place in a traverse layout in the open space with a carpet marking space with audiences sitting on either side of the carpeted area facing each other with a channel down the middle where the actors perform. At either end there is a door and some bookshelves. Cushions are provided for the children to sit on, but a 2nd row of benches / chairs should be provided by the hosting centre.
- Dimensions of whole space needed is 10m length x 7.5m width, height 3m
- Dimensions of the carpet is 7.m x 5.5m
- Up to a maximum of 80 audience members.
- Staff: 1 designated adult to host / assist.
- Parking for one long wheel base van.
- A lockable room where the performers can change.
- Dedicated support from the marketing/PR and technical team at Half Moon.
- Up to 500 A5 colour flyers and 15 A3 colour posters. (NB: overprinting will be at an additional cost, please enquire).
- Images and production photos for use within venue brochures or broader usage including digital.
1 or 2 shows per day.
£900 + VAT
All other locations
£1150 + VAT
Note for performances at very long distances from London, an additional supplement of £100 per day may apply. Please enquire.
Please note that these fees are subject to an additional supplement if your organisation makes a compulsory contra to us for your costs at the contracting stage (e.g. credit card/box office; get-in/out; marketing/brochure contributions).
Creative Learning Opportunities
Tangled Feet and Half Moon can offer bespoke workshops for groups on the themes of the performance or on the creation of original theatre. CPD workshops for teachers is also available on request.
For more details on this, please contact:
Chris Elwell on 0207 709 8902 / email@example.com